I enjoy making hamburger patties or meatballs for dinner because they are always a hit in this house! Our one year old boys eat pretty much any food but they prefer hamburger meat to steak or chicken because it’s easier for them to chew. And it’s easier for me to hide vegetables in it!
So, I will share my recipe for these nutritious and delicious hamburgers.
Step by step instruction below:
First, I made buns (I use the “dough setting” on our bread machine to get the dough ready and then just bake them in the oven) today since I had time to prepare it while the boys napped. But you can use store bought buns too, of course!
Once you have the buns, let’s make the patties!
What you need (makes enough for 4 people):
- 400 grams of Ground meat (I used pork this time but you can use lean beef or turkey for an even healthier option)
- Half of a carrot
- 1/4 onion
- 1/4 zucchini
- An egg
- Some cooked rice & oatmeal or bread crumbs
*** I made this without spices so that our babies can eat it but you can add salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce for extra flavour.
What you do:
- Grate carrot, onion and zucchini and mix with the ground meat
- Add an egg to the mix
- Since it is very liquidy at this point, add some cooked rice and oatmeal until it’s the softness where you can form a patty. (My mom always uses Panko- bread crumbs)
- Once you mix everything together well, you can form patties. For small children, you can make little meatballs so it’s a easy finger food!
- Push the middle of the patties to make it easier for them to cook through, and fry them in a pan with 1TBS of vegetable oil.
And you are done!
You can eat it by itself with a sauce or ketchup or you can make a burger!
Our toddlers like eating them by themselves so I just feed them meatballs, bread, some vegetables all separately 🙂
It’s delicious and you will feel better knowing it has lots of vegetables in it! (that’s right, sometimes you have to hide veggies from yourself, too) It is a perfect meal for everyone in your family.
Hope you will try it.
Thank you so much for reading!