We made a trip to the ER late last night.

The boys have been happy and well for a while but all of sudden, M woke up with a high fever of 39ºC (102.2F) in the middle of the night two nights ago. I was surprised, since he didn’t show any other sign of sickness or fussiness, but I gave him some Advil and put him back to sleep. Yesterday, he was a little more clingy and he still had a fever all day long. Advil didn’t seem to work very well, so I called the Public Health Nurse emergency line and the nurse told me that he should be fine with just being treated with an Advil at home.

Later that night I put him to bed normally and was doing housework and stuff… then he woke up crying two hours after he went to sleep. I went in and checked his temperature and it had spiked up to 40ºC (104F) even though I had just given him a dose of Ibuprofen just before bedtime.

I was so scared to see him so lethargic and weak. I gave him lots of water and I called the Public Health Nurse line once again. This time, the nurse told me to hang up the phone and take M to the ER immediately. The nurse suggested that M is likely to have much more serious condition than just a fever.

That urgency in his voice scared me and I called my husband at work.

We have two babies. I didn’t know what to do with his brother, who was sound asleep. I panicked a little. I called my in-laws and got them to come over to stay at home with T while I took M to the hospital.

Fortunately, my husband’s supervisor let him go a little early so he was able to meet me at the hospital.

The ER was FULL and very busy, but they let us go into a private room right away, which was nice so I could cuddle and comfort him in a quiet room until the doctor came in.

The long story short, it was an ear infection. (phew! I was actually relieved that it was not something more serious than that)

M is such a trooper and he didn’t show that his ear was bothering him and his mood didn’t change, so it was hard for us to detect what was wrong with him.

I feel bad I let him suffer from such a high fever for that long of time…

Now he is on antibiotics for ten days and the day after he already seems much better.

I am so glad he is okay and I am very thankful that my husband and my in-laws acted so quickly when I called for help. I couldn’t have taken M to the hospital without their help!

T apparently slept so well all by himself in his room while we were in the hospital.He is such a good boy, too!

It was definitely my first scary mommy moment!

Anyhow,

I will finish this blog post with a few photos from the other day:

mommyoutnumbered.com -redcar
They love cars already!
mommyoutnumbered.com-summersalad
Chicken Salad with Japanese sesame dressing for a hot day!

Thank you so much for reading.

Have a great night.

11 Comments on Scary mommy moment

1. hopefulandhungry
    April 3, 2016 at 9:05 pm (12 months ago)

Glad everything is okay, ear infections are no fun, I’m sure that was a very scary night for you. Hoping your son feels back to normal soon!

• mommyoutnumbered
      April 3, 2016 at 9:38 pm (12 months ago)

Thank you for your kind words. I was just so lucky that my boys had never had anything other than just regular colds before… so I panicked! I’m so glad he is okay 🙂

2. vadermama
    April 4, 2016 at 7:27 am (12 months ago)

I hate it when they get sick, I’m sorry that is scary. At least it was just an ear infection:) hang in there and u hope he feels better soon.

• mommyoutnumbered
      April 4, 2016 at 9:57 am (12 months ago)

Thank you! I can handle fever or pain if it is myself, but it is heart breaking when my baby is suffering :'( Oh well, ear infections are common, so i will need to be prepared for more to come.. haha

3. The Other Johnsons
    April 4, 2016 at 8:27 am (12 months ago)

Oh my goodness. I would have been terrified! I’m glad that it was just an ear infection, and not something more serious. I hope he feels better soon!!

• mommyoutnumbered
      April 4, 2016 at 9:56 am (12 months ago)

Thank you. It’s so hard to detect what’s wrong with babies when they can’t communicate! Im glad it wasn’t serious 🙂

4. Tales of a Twin Mombie
    April 4, 2016 at 10:51 am (12 months ago)

So glad it wasn’t anything serious! We’ve had so many times where we have had to take the boys in and almost always it’s an ear infection! Things have slowed down thankfully, otherwise we were considering tubes! Glad things worked outb

• mommyoutnumbered
      April 4, 2016 at 8:26 pm (12 months ago)

Thank you. Thats good to know it’s a common thing! Do you usually take both of your boys to hospital / clinic even when one is sick? I usually take both but that night he was sleeping so it was tricky!
      Im glad to hear your boys are not as sick lately!! 🙂

5. Ourlifebelike
    April 4, 2016 at 2:19 pm (12 months ago)

I’m so glad he is okay now.It must have been really terrifying moment.

• mommyoutnumbered
      April 4, 2016 at 8:27 pm (12 months ago)

yes it was scary since I was alone! thank you 🙂

6. msaudreyc
    April 5, 2016 at 5:46 pm (12 months ago)

Aww the poor dear, hope he feels better!