Ahhhh,
I am SO sleep deprived. So much worse than when they were newborns…

My boys have never slept through the night but they only used to wake up to feed and fall back asleep right away… So it wasn’t too bad for me to get up twice a night just to give them bottles in their cribs.

That changed when boys were around 6 1/2 months old….
They still feed twice a night and on top of that, M started to cry so hard (in his sleep) several times a night. sometimes bringing him into our bed helps but other times, he just won’t calm down unless he is held a certain way.

He cries so hysterally that he wakes T up and he freaks out…
They are such easy babies otherwise. Only night time, I feel… woah having twins is hard ๐Ÿ™
I don’t know if even sleep training would work for twins who share the room.
They would keep playing and chatting if I don’t get them to sleep either by rocking or lying beside them.
The thing is, I love snuggles. I love napping with them… I love rocking them and singing to them… but that might have created this habit that they can only calm down when I am around… even during the night… sigh๐Ÿ˜ฃ

Teething, growth spurt, separation anxiety, development, etc???

I just hope this is just a phase…. that will end soon…. otherwise, I will lose my mind ๐Ÿ˜ต

0 comment on Sleep regression…. frustration….

1. juliaemcross
    September 23, 2015 at 7:30 pm (2 years ago)

I feel ya hun, sleep regressions stink. Oh about two years ago exactly my twins were starting this same business. I did everything I could for them until they (mostly just boy twin, girl twin was always a better sleeper) made it clear they didn’t want food, dry diaper, or even snuggles. Waking twice a night turned into every hour over the course of a 6weeks and finally I consulted a book, Dr Weissbluth’s “Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child.” He advised allowing baby to cry. Which felt horrible but I was at the end of my rope and holy cow, it worked. Boy twin cried for an hour night 1, 20 mins night 2, and barely night 3. Girl twin slept through everything in the same room. With the odd exception of a rough night due to a cold, both continue to be excellent sleepers for naps and overnight. There are variations to the method, but I hope my experience helps you out a little anyways. Your boys are so handsome! I haven’t looked at your blog in a long time, love seeing how they’ve grown. Good luck!

• mommyoftwinja
      September 23, 2015 at 8:00 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much for your advice! Everyone who I talked to told me that we should try sleep training. I am curious, do you let them cry when they wake at middle of night or when they cry trying to get to sleep when you first put them in bed, or both…? They crawl inside the cribs, stand up, etc… and I can’t imagine how they would be able to calm down enough to lie down to sleep again on their own! lol but we might have to do it…
      I am glad to know it worked for twins. I didn’t know CIO method worked for twins!!!
      I will talk to my husband about it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• juliaemcross
        September 24, 2015 at 6:37 am (2 years ago)

Well on night 1, he did his typical 1st wake up about an hour after he fell asleep for bed. And we just let him alone. He stood, he did the furious rocking on his hands and knees he did before he crawled. It took seriously a solid hour but he slept then the rest of the rest. The second and third nights he did wake up in the middle of the and I went in to tell him everything was alright, but I didn’t touch him and I left right away and it took a few minutes but he got back to sleep. After that it was smooth sailing!! There have been a very small number of sleep regressions since but they usually resolve pretty quickly because both babies now know how to self soothe. Check out the book I mentioned, it’s been my sleep bible! A word of caution on husbands, they aren’t as tough as you! My husband kept wanting to go in on that very difficult first night and I had to talk him out of it every time. Glad to help xx

• mommyoftwinja
          September 24, 2015 at 8:11 am (2 years ago)

Thank you SO much. We actually talked to some friends yesterday who had done CIO on their babies and we decided to try last night.
          We fed them twice at night as usual but when M started waking up after the second feed, we let him cry… he ended up waking his brother up and they cried for 30 min together and M cried for another 40 min and finally fell asleep๐Ÿ˜ญ we did go in to their room every 5 min to pat their heads and sit them down etc.. but maybe we went in too much since M seemed to get more upset after he saw us… hmmm
          will keep you posted. thank you again for your advice. I don’t know twin moms in person so its so nice to hear stories from them on here!!!

• juliaemcross
            September 24, 2015 at 12:28 pm (2 years ago)

I know it’s cold, but I really think not going in at all is the best way. It won’t scar you babies. They know you love them. Maybe if you have a microphone on you baby monitor you can speak to them on that? “Mamas here baby, go to sleep”
            I think them seeing you starts the process all over again.

• mommyoftwinja
            September 24, 2015 at 7:41 pm (2 years ago)

wow thank you so much for all the tips. yes… I might have to ask mt doctor regarding night feeding… they don’t eat that much solids (the fussy one is a picky eater too…) and they drink quitea bit at night still.
            but once I night wean them, they might start eating more during the day.
            Also I will try not going in while they cry to see how quick they stop… thanks for the tip!
            I really appreciate your help. I am sure you are busy with your life with your little ones now. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• juliaemcross
            September 25, 2015 at 2:04 pm (2 years ago)

My days are totally crazy with 2.5 yr olds, but this age is so Awesome. Life started getting so much easier around 14/15 months, I promise you. If you don’t already, start teaching your boys a few signs now! Milk, eat, all done, more were really helpful words, I used handspeak.org to look up signs ๐Ÿ˜„ Hope you get through this sleep stuff alright!

• mommyoftwinja
            September 25, 2015 at 8:00 pm (2 years ago)

yes we have been doing Milk, More and Done. it will be neat once they can do it or understand it! thanks for the link! I will check it out for more signs ๐Ÿ™‚

RE: sleep training, unfortunately M is a bit sick… he threw up lots last night… (to the point we had to give him another bath in the middle of night) so we can’t really cry him out now… we will resume once they feel better ๐Ÿ˜‰

• mommyoftwinja
          September 24, 2015 at 8:13 am (2 years ago)

Sorry, one question…
          they still feed twice at night. do I continue to feed them at those times while sleep training or do we night wean too?

• juliaemcross
            September 24, 2015 at 12:25 pm (2 years ago)

They’ll get used to the others crying and start ignoring it. It can be so helpful to talk other twin moms! I was really really lucky, my sister had twins 3.5 months before me ๐Ÿ˜„
            I night weaned and sleep trained at the same time, they weren’t really eating much anymore, and I think boy twin couldn’t self-soothe. Then they’d be awake and cry. I shudder at the memory.
            My pediatrician told me I could stop feeding at night at 6mths if I wanted, so maybe check with your doctor first. But night weaning wasn’t a big deal, they started eating more solid food and ate a little bigger bottle during the day (I nursed one twin and exclusively pumped for the bad sleeper so I always knew how much he was eating).
            I think the night weaning could be key to sleep training, otherwise it might be hard for you and your babies to figure out what’s what. I loaned out my book, but the good Dr Weissbluth probably has something to say about it ๐Ÿ˜œ