My boys are almost 3 weeks old. 😍😍

Wow time flies! When I was pregnant, time seemed to go by very slowly but since they were born, a day goes by super quickly!

It is almost 4am now…😡

We got up at 3am to feed (expressed breastmilk by bottles) the twins and changed diapers and now I am sitting in the living room pumping some more milk while the babies and hubby went back to bed.

I am getting used to being up every 2-3 hours to feed them…

As for their feeding method,
I have been mostly pumping but still offering breasts in between feeds or before giving them the bottles.
When I cannot keep up with the milk supply, we use formula as well.

I am hoping to find the best way yet.

Pumping takes a lot of time. While I am hooked up to the double pump, I cannot do anything. If I see one of the babies cry, I have to stop the pump, unhook myself, walk over to the baby, comfort him, and come back to try to pump again… Also I cannot pump while I hold a baby to feed.

This is why I sometimes find myself being caught in busy routine of taking care of the babies and forget pumping regularly.
I have been having what appears to be a clogged milk duct now because I skipped a few pumping sessions πŸ˜₯

I really want to know how to be successful breastfeeding twins.

While bottle-feeding expressed breastmilk seems easier in terms of someone else being able to help feed them with a bottle, pumping often is not as easy as I imagined…

I am still figuring out but I hope to find the best way for both me and the babies!πŸ™Œ

anyways,

now pumping is done! good night!!! 😘
(for another one to two hours till babies are hungry again😡)

0 comment on Breastfeeding… pumping… dilemma

1. jen.g
    February 15, 2015 at 10:26 am (3 years ago)

Good luck to you!!! I’m 20 weeks with boy/girl twins and hope to breastfeed and pump! I hope you figure out the best way that works for you and I can learn from it!!

• mommyoftwinja
      February 15, 2015 at 10:43 pm (3 years ago)

thank you! I never imagined how tricky breastfeeding was at first. But I am sure I will figute it out πŸ™‚ I will keep you posted πŸ™‚

2. lovefromleyla
    February 15, 2015 at 12:22 pm (3 years ago)

Aw honey you’ve done well doing it for this long! They’ve had your colostrum by now and that’s the most important stuff. I think it’s as important for mummy to be happy as the babies and these days formula is almost identical to breast milk anyway so don’t feel bad if you go down that route. I’ve read loads and had loads of advice given to me and I would choose to formula feed every time. With twins it’s just too time consuming any other way. Good luck xx

• mommyoftwinja
      February 15, 2015 at 10:48 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you so much for your encouraging words! It makes me feel much better πŸ™‚ Somehow, I feel so guilty and sad whenever I use formula. Thanks for your advice!! I might seek opting for formula route sometime soon if it gets too stressful (and my sanity is important I guess πŸ˜‰ )

3. itsonmylist
    February 15, 2015 at 12:35 pm (3 years ago)

I breastfed ( pumped and gave breastmilk) to my twins for 5 months. I quickly gave up on actual breastfeeding. The best thing I ever did was buy a pumping bra. I could hook up to the pump while bottle feeding one of the twins. If I needed to get up or switch babies, all I had to do was unhook the hoses and then do what I needed. I would reattach hoses, turn in pump and feed the other baby. I was about to give up on breastmilk until I found the bra. It was amazing.

• mommyoftwinja
      February 15, 2015 at 11:25 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for your comment!! I just bought the pumping bra too! it is amazing πŸ™‚ It definitely made pumping easier. I am just still overwhelmed with so much to do on top of pumping and recovering from c-section but Im sute I will get used to it πŸ˜‰ I hope I can stick with my pumping routine…! πŸ™‚

4. Theresa
    February 15, 2015 at 3:47 pm (3 years ago)

AGREE with the pumping bra! Also, honestly, sometimes I just let them cry for a few minutes so I could finish. Do you mind if I ask why you are pumping vs breastfeeding? Do you have latch issues? Weight issues? They seem to prefer bottles? Just curious πŸ™‚ I could offer some suggestions but not sure what your particular situation is. No matter what, breastfeeding/pumping for twins is HARD, especially at the beginning.

• mommyoftwinja
      February 15, 2015 at 11:38 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you! Aww ok it’s so nice to hear from other twin moms πŸ™‚ I am still very new to this and am feeling overwhelmed when babies cry when I need to pump in order to feed them etc…
      Nurses suggested me to start pumping amd give them expressed breastmilk at first because they were not gaining weight. They had latching issue too so I see a lactation consultant too. She suggested me to offer them my breast before I give them bottles (they never satisfy with just breast yet ) until they get used to breastfeeding. They are getting better at latching but doesn’t work everytime. πŸ˜₯ Like everyone says, I am sure it will pay off and will get easier. I just have to keep trying πŸ™‚

5. thepeepsmama
    February 18, 2015 at 9:50 am (3 years ago)

The pumping bra is soooo helpful. For the first month I pumped (at least 15 min) after each feeding session in order to help build my supply and then gave my twins the bottles (so others could help top them off while I pumped more milk). After about 5 weeks my babies are feeding better (taking 20-30min to feed instead of 45-60min) from my breast so I was able to cut back on pumping to 2-3 times a day instead of 8. Now I have my mom or husband feed them from a bottle one time at night so I can sleep through a feeding (about 4-5 hours) once during the night. That has helped me tremendously! Hopefully it will get easier for you! Hang in there!

• mommyoftwinja
      March 14, 2015 at 11:20 pm (3 years ago)

Wow you are doing great!!! I wish I was able to stick to only breastfeeding… from the beginning, we have been using formula as top up and also for when they both need to eat at the same time… How do you nurse one when the other twin is hungry and screaming? I respect you for creating such a great routine. I hope I can find a way that works for us and stick to it. πŸ™‚ Thank you so much for your comment. Good luck!!